The fencing club will remain open for regular practices at this time. Our policy has always been to be open and leave it to the discretion of our members as to whether to attend practices or not.
This doesn’t mean we’re not conscious of the risk of spreading viruses. Here’s what we’re encouraging members to do:
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Avoid direct physical contact with others. We recommend bumping elbows or saluting instead of shaking hands at the end of a bout.
- Use of your own water bottle at practice. Also, take it home with you and wash it frequently.
- Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer.
The sharing of fencing equipment is of special concern at this time. If you’re a new fencer and have been borrowing our equipment from us we have two suggestions for the near future. One, pick a mask and glove from the club and use them exclusively. This means we want you to take a particular mask and glove home with you so you’re the only one to use it. The second option is to buy your own mask and glove. Below are links for an epee mask and glove.
Here’s what we’re doing:
- We will be disinfecting all common surfaces after every practice.
- We will be disinfecting all fencing masks and washing all gloves. After that we’ll be closely monitoring the use of these items and repeating their cleaning when necessary.
We also are encouraging members to use this time to consider working on new actions and tactics, conditioning, and strengthening your mental-emotional game in preparation for the future.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.